Tuesday, June 9, 2009

In Our Lifetime.....

I received an email from a good friend who has been recovering from a kidney transplant: Max Alexander. In fact it'll be exactly one year to the day that Max 's brother, Moshe gave him a kidney so that he could regain his health. He also sent me an incredible picture taken from the Hubbell telescope showing the abyss known as outer space. Space travel is a reality but will we able to make frequent trips on a regular basis within our lifetime?Civilian space travel on a regular basis will happen probably by the first half of this century but what will the planets in our solar system have to offer? Will the Earth become so overpopulated that one day another planet or moon will have to suffice for a new home? Thoughts like this always circulate through my head and I wonder if we'll be forever confined to this one planet or will another become like a secondary lifeline complete with oceans, decent oxygen and an abundant food supply?As I look out on this full moon through my telescope and envision what it would be like to fly by the lunar surface to another world it really does make one feel extremely insignificant when compared to the cosmos. In my own brief life span we have discovered more moons on the planets Saturn and Jupiter and downsized our once 9th planet, Pluto to that of a dwarf planet. Just think all of those space maps I saved from the heady days of Apollo are now incorrect when it comes to the planetary system. I wonder if Walt Disney would have even created the animated character, Pluto knowing that one day that planet would be no more? I guess that was the start of the recession really when Pluto was demoted to dwarf planet status. There is a parallel come on. I think that's why I have always believed that something else is out there and that there is no way that humans can be the only species to occupy the vastness of space. Whatever time we have left in this life like Pluto is dwarfed when you try to comprehend the bigger picture. Some people gyrate to a religion in order to seek comfort knowing there might be something after this existence while others embrace the eastern religions of reincarnation so that one's life isn't gone forever but just recycled. I have always known that nothing is really by accident but more by design. No, I haven't taken any artificial stimulants or having a flashback to my days at Humboldt State University just observing while staring out at the trees. The moon this morning looked like a giant silver dollar sitting on the top of the Sierra mountaintops. Maybe it's a good idea to appreciate what it is I have right now at this very moment and just go from there. Is this what happens when you see into the future?

No comments: