Wednesday, July 8, 2009

To All Things Superstitious (and coincidental)

I can remember not too long ago that there were people who directed their lives based on their superstitions. I have no idea where these (people and superstitions) came from but mostly one would hear about this when it was on a Friday the 13th or walking on sidewalks that if you walked on the crack you would 'break your mother's back.' Wow. Where did THAT urban gem come from? Now with the advent of not just the computer but online communication those that were once considered far and few between now flourish every second on the Internet! Oh man remember the one about Microsoft 's Bill Gates was going to send a thousand bucks to anyone who received that email about some testing of his product or ANY email/spam that started with "I usually don't read these but......(fill in your urban legend here)" explaining how easy you could make money by just 'sending this email to ten people' and then you realize that all those suckers found a home online. My favorite are the emails from Nigeria telling me that millions of dollars await me if I send over some passwords or my SS# or a check for $500 as a 'processing fee' to get my millions. For the longest time I would reply and tell them that I wasn't a citizen of this country or else I would send the required money or that even though I wasn't convicted of the murder (because they never found the body) I couldn't accept the millions being offered. A comic/friend of mine, Joel actually takes it to the next level getting these scammers (in his case the ones from Nigeria) to fly out and meet him at the airport and for a check they have to hold up an embarrassing sign saying what scumbags they are. Of course the checks aren't any good but Joel gets the satisfaction of outing his would-be Internet thieves and then posts the pics for all to see! Wow. I have to admit though I do find it interesting the tidbits that one can find on this mode of communication. For instance that did you know that today at 4:56 this afternoon the time will be 4:56 07/08/09. This is what some call a once-in-lifetime occurrence. It is breathtaking though isn't it? The latest is the Michael Jackson and events from his life intertwined with the number 7. Nancy pointed this out to me and showed me the following:

Michael Jackson signed his will on 7/7/02.
Michael Jackson's memorial was on 7/7/09 (exactly 7years after the will was signed).
Michael Jackson's two biggest hits, "Black & White" and "Billie Jean" were each #1 for 7 weeks.
Michael Jackson's three biggest albums, "Thriller," "Bad" and "Dangerous" each produced 7 top 40 hits.
Michael Jackson was the 7th of 9 children.
Michael Jackson was born in 1958 ... 19 + 58 = 77
Michael Jackson died on the 25th ... 2 + 5 = 7
Michael Jackson has 7 letters in his first and last name.

Well for all you fellow science fiction, numerologists, urban legend, end-of the-world conspiracy theorists types out there......unite!

No comments: