Thursday, September 17, 2009

Indian Summer

Greetings aficionados of all things seasonal. As summer peters out giving way to yet another season I'm reminded of things that I'm not sure are politically correct or okay to still say. Some things just sound beyond ridiculous when in actuality it's okay to still say them. I'm referring to the term, "Indian summer." I grew up with that term and to my limited knowledge was always meant in a meteorological light. According to Wikipedia the generally accepted use of the term is when the weather is sunny and clear and above 21°C (70°F), and all of the leaves of the trees have turned but before the first snow has fallen. The term "Indian summer" is also used metaphorically to refer to a late blooming of something, often unexpectedly, or after it has lost relevance. Anyway since that's how I'm often referred to as I'll just continue to use the term until protesting begins for those who are stupid or misinformed (much like those attending town hall meetings on health care). Wow did the font just change color all of a sudden? Must be the same thing with the seasons I am guessing. So, don't be afraid to use the term "Indian summer" and because it's way shorter than saying "Native-American summer" and hey, for all we know could mean the New Delhi variety of Indian. I'm just sayin'. It's usually at this time of the year as Indian summer is upon us I am called by my Hebrew name, "Anointed Bear" which was given to me growing up. Am I offended? No, not really but hey-I'm open to discussion. I can always be seen on the Facebook or just send an email and we can chat further.

No comments: