Wednesday, September 17, 2008

T-Minus Four Days....

It's sort of surreal when I stop for a moment and think about it yeah. People driving by and wishing me well overseas. I try not to dwell on the idea that this time next week I'll be with comedians Scott Kennedy and Graham Elwood somewhere in Iraq. They don't tell you where it is you'll be performing at. Classified according to Scott who has been spending two weeks out of every month traveling to Kuwait and Iraq with new comics every month. What has been really cool are those here in town who have been offering stuff to take with me. The GM of Starbucks in Tahoe City called me up and wanted to donate ten pounds of coffee after I had mentioned that the troops like fresh coffee. Then there was the teacher who dropped by with letters from her students written to the troops after I said if anyone wants any mail delivered then just drop on by the radio station. It has been very uplifting to know that when I arrive over there I'll have a bunch of items to pass out to the soldiers. Been spending a lot of time too recording a "Best Of" for radio so that it'll at least appear that I still have a show over the next two weeks. Sure takes a lot of time though finding the recordings of comedians, musicians, politicians and what not to play during the time I am gone.I already have comics filling in for me and I love the emails I have been receiving from them reminding me that if I don't come back can they have my slot? I've also been tuning up the new material that has been going over well and won't be too political overseas but will probably toss in a few gems anyway but leave President Bush alone since he still is the Commander-in-Chief. I have been having fun though at both Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin's expense. Recently I asked women to call in and comment on what they think of the new definition of feminism is. Pretty decisive with one side saying that Hillary best represented what true feminism should be and an equal amount saying that they liked Sarah Palin because she was more accessible. She seems to be getting more crowds than her boss, Senator John McCain but I imagine he doesn't mind. It has been getting a little ugly out there with each camp firing back when the other speaks ill will of their candidate. I am still cracking up at the notion that one McCain staffer basically said that Senator McCain practically invented the Blackberry when in fact McCain doesn't even email. Reminded me of Al Gore's comments back in 2000 when he basically said that he had invented the Internet. Gotta love the politics though. I did receive my Wasilla Relocation Package last week. I called their City Hall and requested one because Tahoe had become too crowded and that I had some government experience being ASB President in high school and also running for the same position in college at Humboldt State University. Would that qualify me at all to run for mayor of Wasilla? The nice lady said, "Oh sure I don't see why not especially now since our former mayor, Sarah Palin went on to become governor of our state (Alaska) and is now John McCain's VP choice." Other than that I am a little bummed that I'll be missing all of the debates but would rather be overseas than here and hope that this whole conflict ends within my lifetime.

No comments: