Tuesday, March 2, 2010

10th Annual Comedy Night @ SFSU

Love this group shot on the left (taken by Kevin Hill). From the left it's comedian Will Durst, Tim Conway, Ronnie Schell, Howie Nave, Tommy Smothers, Steve Rossi and Rich Little. How did I get to perform with this bunch? Would you believe last weekend I was asked to be part of something that I couldn't even imagine being a part of? For the past decade legendary comedian/actor Ronnie Schell has produced and hosted a virtual Who's Who form the comedy world and we're talking real comedic legends here folks. All of this to raise funds for San Francisco State University's Athletic Department that offers among other things scholarships to students who not only excel in their particular sports but also maintain an above average grade point average.Since Ronnie is an alumni of the university he has a special place in his heart for his old alma mater. Some of the past comics who have been part of this event include Don Knotts, Phyllis Diller, Shelly Berman, Shecky Greene, Bill Dana, Fred Willard, Harvey Korman, Louie Nye, Barbara McNair, Jonathan Winters, Ruth Buzzi, Tom Morey, Jo Ann Worley, Bob Sarlatte, Brian Copeland, Jayne Meadows, Tom Poston, Suzanne Pleshette,Norm Crosby, Brett Butler, Merv Griffin, Kevin Meany, Peter Marshall, Steve Landesburg, Kaye Ballard and Lorraine Newman to name but a few. On the bill the two nights performed were Tim Conway, Tommy Smothers, Rich Little, Steve Rossi, Will Durst and hosted by Ronnie Schell. My opening line the first night was, "I may not have the incredible credits that these gentlemen have but I'm the only one in color." With that I kicked into my 20 minute set and had the time of my life. Here are a few pictures I thought I would share. On the right is Rich Little doing his impression of Ronald Reagan. We were in the green room about a half hour before the show started. There were so many highlights both Friday and Saturday night. Oh yeah both shows were sold-out too and the Creative Arts theatre that they held the event in was enormous. The good news is that both the dean of the athletics department and the president of the university asked if I would ever consider coming back? Hmmmmm have to think about that one.....yes!

No comments: